Tuesday 30 August 2011

Blake in the Kitchen

Just between you and I, working in the school canteen isn't the glamorous job it's made out to be. Last week during my shift, in a lull between the grasping sticky fingers and turning the hot chicken nuggets, I found some time to look around and observe. As the camera or iPod is never far from reach, I reached for it, I looked down, I tried to bring order to the universe with the camera as my compass, my gyroscope. The world quietened and all became serene.

With iPod in hand I traveled through the room. Venturing past the obvious and looking for some insight, something new, a place where I hadn't been before. I found these six images which seemed to belong together. They gave me space and understanding, and a feeling of being connected to what I was observing.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour
from Auguries of Innocence, William Blake.



No comments: