Wednesday 4 July 2012

Back to Basics

For me composition is the most important element of my image making. Whether the subject is animate or inanimate, and mostly for me it has been inanimate. It's easy to get a wall to smile.






















As I have said before my method of working is instinctive. I don't shoot a lot, but I do shoot often, most days. I try not to shoot anything when I know that it isn't right. It either feels right looking through the lens or it doesn't, and if it doesn't I move on. I watched a film recently, a documentary about William Eggleston. It changed my mind about the man, but not about his work. He was being followed around by a film crew as he roamed the streets shooting with a collection of different cameras his son carried for him. He shot everything, or rather he found something to shoot everywhere he looked. William prints everything he shoots or so he said. William was totally absorbed in his practice. He would see the shot and lock onto it, never allowing any distance until he made the exposure after which he moved on to the next.






















I've started walking in the mornings again (this week anyway) The camera is always there. It gives me an excuse to stop sometimes, and sometimes I can't let go of something I've seen and I have to stop. Image making gives me focus and allows me to let go of the now. I am absorbed and alert in the most positive way. It's a meditation, as is the walking part.






















Gracie had a little spell in hospital recently. I sat with her for a couple of days. For anyone who knows, it's not a good place to be, whether for visitor or captive. The hospital policy kindly allowed me to bunk down beside her bed overnight. It was good to be there. On the second day, I slipped off for a few moments while Grace slept and made these images. They feel like peace to me. They are as relaxed as I could be in such a place and at such a time. They helped me through so that I could help Grace through. She is on the mend now.


Here she sleeps...














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics Mr. You know how to fill a frame.